Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Speak With Your Geek Out

Okay, I'm a Geek and proud of it. I love Godzilla, Doctor Who, science fiction, outer space, Peewee's Playhouse, epic fantasy, Star Trek, Star Wars, zombies, mummies and monsters... The list is obviously too long to list in its entirety here. Let's just say if it's weird, wild, or wonderful, I love it.

Sunday was the start of Speak With Your Geek Out Week. Initially proposed and organized by author and game designer Monica Valentinelli as a means to show the world the positive side of geekdom and there is nothing, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

from the official blog http://www.speakoutwithyourgeekout.com/
Over 2,000 people have committed to sharing their enthusiasm and their love of their hobbies and vocations for an entire week of geek. Parents and children, friends and strangers, fans and creators are participating by blogging, mentoring, listening, speaking and sharing.

An entire community has built up around the idea that we can be positive role models. Positive. Before the week even began, people have reinforced the message that being happy is a choice and we are empowered to be who we are when we're together. Or simply: there is strength in numbers and even when we feel like the odd man out? We are not alone.
Some of you know that this summer my son, Shaun, and I attended the North American DiscWorld Convention celebrating the life and work of author Terry Pratchett.  A better collection of geeks you would not find anywhere on this or any other planet. Costumes and characters were everywhere and every now and then I have to admit I was jealous. These people dressed as orcs, bearded dwarves, and malfunctioning wizards, are so vibrant so alive so full of joy and happiness. It was like being part of the weirdest family in the universe and I loved it. And I'll do it again.

(Confession time: I will admit to a fondness for the aesthetics of steampunk. If you don't know what steampunk is, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk I can easily seeing myself dressing for that role. Now if Laurie will only let me do it...)

So stand with me. Hold your sonic screwdriver high. (Yes, I have one.) Put your plush Spock teddy bear close to your breast. (Yes, I have one of those too.) And say with me to the world: We are geeks, we are proud, we will not change, we probably could not change. Don't judge us by your stereotypes. Judge us by our actions. Join us and you will smile in wonder at the universe not just as you did when you were a child but for every day of your life. That's why the universe is there. Just to make us wonder, and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment