Monday, October 3, 2011

Halloween Readiness: Day 3

I know. This is October 3 but only my second Halloween post. I got caught up in the Wisconsin-Nebraska Big Ten opening football game hype on Saturday (and it lived up to it too, if you were for Wisconsin). So to make up for it today I have two items for you.

First, let me say that to me there is one thing scarier than vampires, werewolves, or even zombies. Something I dread more than losing a limb, maybe even my soul. Something that the mere mention of it makes me break out in a cold sweat and sends shivers down my back.

And what is this terribly awful blight on the face of humanity?

Shoe shopping with my wife. <shudder>

When we're out and about and Laurie gives me an out am I about to say "No"? No way. So while she proceeded to the dark depths of Famous Footwear I merrily waltzed on to The Frugal Muse, a delightful used bookstore on Madison's West side. There I bought the following 2 books that seem very fitting for this time of year.

The first is"Mysterious Madison: Unsolved Crimes, Strange Creatures and Bizarre Happenstance" by Noah Voss. I can't wait to read about bizarre happenstances, especially if it's about the town I live in. Maybe I can talk Lauri into tracking a few down ourselves.


The second book looks equally as good but way funnier. It is "Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside, Crying on the Inside" by Frank Lesser, one of the writers for The Colbert Report. Boasting chapters entitled "The Joy of Unicorns" and "The Werewolf Whisperer" and "Kids Slay the Darnedest Things" I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

(Note the price on this one. I don't quite understand but it is listed as being published on Oct 2011 yet many booksellers have it listed at half price or less. It has a list price of $13.00 yet I got it for $4.98 and it's brand new.)

Stephen Colbert blurbs "Thanks to this hilarious book, I'm no longer scared of monsters. However, I am still terrified of books."




Incidentally Laurie never did buy any shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment