Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Visit From Neil Young (on my Kindle)

First the good news! The second adventure from the detective team of Ramses II and Bernie Clayberg is being picked up by Stupefying Stories. I received word on January 2. Now that's a great way to start teh new year. I'm hoping this is on it's way to becoming a popular series.

If you missed their first adventure, "The Wrong Side Of The Rainbow", you can find it here:


My lovely wife gave me a kindle for Xmas. Very nice. I love it but more on that later. As a new kindle owner I discovered that Amazon has daily deal on ebooks. Every day a new set of ebooks at very low prices usually under $3. Check it out here: kindle daily deal

Recently one of the daily deals was the kindle version of Neil Young's new autobiography "Waging Heavy Peace" for only $1.99. Neil Young has always been a musical hero of mine so I snapped it up immediately. I dropped everything else and began to read. I was in for a big surprise.

Let me say I was really looking forward to reading it but after I began it was too long before... well, let me say that in my opinion it is one of the worst things I have every read. Definitely a stream of consciousness book it is all over the place.

Yes, Neil, we know you like model trains, we know you are a big audiophile and hate the mp3 file format, but please give me a break. I'm not. The narrative bounces from his Lionel trains to the startup company he's planning back to trains to a few paragraphs about vacationing in Hawaii with friends back to trains back to Hawaii back to Puretone (his file format) and finally back to his trains. I made it for 4 chapters and had to stop. I couldn't take it anymore.

Sorry, Neil. I tried, maybe not long enough but I tried. I will say I did not delete the book but kept it hoping to return to it at some day hoping it might get better. I really wanted to like this book.

If you like model trains and Neil Young you just might like this book too. Give it a try if you'd like.


As always thanks for reading me.

No comments:

Post a Comment