Thursday, March 8, 2012

"Peace, Love, Ukulele" - It's all about the music

If you don't know the name Jake Shimabukuro all I can say is where have you been? This guy, this master of the ukulele, yes I did say ukulele, is a musical god. Only four strings and he can fill a concert hall with sounds so sweet, so beautiful, so moving you will be wondering where the rest of the band is. Did I say he was good?

I dragged Laurie to see him last year. On the way she said, "Now who are we seeing again?" Jake. "And he plays the uke?" Right, you won't believe this. "Does he have a big band?" No, it's just him. "Do I know a song he does?" He doesn't sing, it's all instrumental. "On just a ukulele?" That's it. "You are going to owe me big time for this one."

He walked on to the stage with a smile as big as the auditorium and an instrument smaller than our dog. He looked out over the audience, tipped his hat, and began to play. I don't remember the song but I do remember it was magical. After he had finished that first song I looked over to my wife and saw her smile. She loved it. I hadn't won. Jake did.

This guy is good. Check out his latest album "Peace, Love, Ukulele."

If you are in the San Fransisco area check out the new documentary coincidentally entitled "Peace. Love, Ukulele." One night only, March 14th, as part of the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival. Here's the trailer:



Yes, he is that good. See him live. If you can't see him live, see this movie.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, he is right. Jake is that awesome. I hope to see him again sometime! Laurie

    ReplyDelete